Axel Winter is Chief Digital & Technology Officer | Investor | Advisor
He has been a tech leader in Southeast Asia since 1994, having held Chief Technology Officer positions for numerous companies, specifically in the finance and retail sectors. The most recent roles for Central Retail Corporation in Bangkok and before that are the Global Head Enterprise Architecture & Technology Strategy for Standard Chartered Bank. Mr. Winter has also held leadership positions for tech consultancies such as Accenture, Deloitte and enterprises such as GE Capital and Cisco Systems. He is a highly regarded expert for digitization and business transformation. Mr. Winter is well known for challenging industry paradigms and consistently striving to integrate new technologies to achieve true impact and change. He is a core member of the Thai start-up ecosystem both as an advisor, co-founder of several start-ups, and a venture partner for Alpha Founders Capital. Mr. Winter’s Public Markets experience includes his senior contribution to the record Initial Public Offering of Central Retail Corporation (2nd largest retail IPO globally) in 2020.
Chief Digital Officer
Siam Piwat Group since 03/2021
Digital Strategy, Roadmap, and Technical Execution of a new One Siam App and OMNI Channel, Content, Loyalty, Marketplace, and Cross Industry Service Platform for the Affluent Segment.
Launched the first NFT Marketplace with Kasikornbank X together.
Strategic Advisor at Tokenizer since 02/2022
Tokenizer is a blockchain-powered asset and business tokenization platform, connecting investors with exciting global opportunities for both active and passive income generation.
Shareholder at Pivot Digital, Tech Consulting Firm in Singapore, with Dev Center in Budapest and HoChiMinCity
Senior Advisor at FAT PROJECTS Acquisition Corporation one of the first ‘SPACs’ in ASEAN, IPOed on NASDAQ.
Venture Partner at Alpha Founders Capital investing in the future economy.
Enabling the launch of the ICO Portal at Xspring and the Token Exchange at ERX. The primary offering for the start was SiriHub token, a property-backed token by Sansiri in Thailand, using Tezos.
Building the equivalent of a Corporate Startup, which became a Unicorn, driving the digital and Omni Channel Business for Central Group – this up to 450 resources large organization, the best tech team in the region, was the driving force behind the Group’s Digital Transformation efforts, creating new digital business models, driving successful and continue impressive revenue growth.
The firm comprised of product, data science, program management, marketing, Innovation Lab and technology organization, with delivery centers in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, HoChiMinhCity, and Budapest serving the Group globally. Delivering in rapid pace over 20 digital products and service across Omni Channel, e-Commerce, Data & Analytics, Machine Learning & AI, Customer Care, Digital Marketing, and Retail Innovation – driving in record time new OMNI Revenue.
- The first Omni Channel Mobile App in the region, with significant revenue generation.
- The largest Omni Channel Platform in Italy with La Rinascente online.
- The top grocery digital platform with seemless checkout, with Tops (b2c) and Chef Yim (b2b)
- PowerBuy and SuperSports b2c, and Office Mate b2b Marketplace Platforms
- C-Coin employee crypto-token app for Central Group staff – the first in the region
- Supporting the largest Loyalty Platform of the region The1 App, with the The1 Co together
- Advising Vietnam, Germany, Denmark Businesses
- Central Retail Innovation Lab in Collaboration with AWS (AWS’ first in the region)
Global Chief Architect and Head Technology Strategy
Standard Chartered Bank
09/11 – 01/17
Driving the global enterprise architecture, digital, and technology strategy to finalize digital transformation and adopt a new Innovation Frameworks for the bank into a modern Real World FinTech player, based upon an Omni Channel strategy.
Global Head Retail Banking Architecture, Innovation, and Data driving the digital customer agenda and a digital transformation journey of our global bank. Expanding upon deep analytics and real-time integration capabilities. Focus on changing the bank’s DNA, with lean, agile, and innovative methods to build the organization and architecture of the future.
Global Head of Process, Integration, Core Banking, and Data Architecture Defining and driving the global banks real time and data-driven agenda globally. Implementing API best practice approach, to move to real-time and reusability of services. Enabling AI, Data and Analytics across all areas of the bank. Adopting a real-time “Big Data” Data Lake-centric strategy with the appropriate ecosystem. Connecting board-level strategy with the developer level. Significantly contributing the bank’s competitiveness in the digital world.
Chief Technology Officer Asia (CTO) CISCO Systems Asia
01/10 – 09/11
Driving new Digital Business Models for Telecom/Tech Firms and Banks. Developing New Products and Services, market entry, business operating models, and technology strategy. Involved in building multiple new businesses.
- Setting up the first two Cloud Providers in Indonesia
- Advising a strategy cloud initiative in Malaysia
- Positioning a regional bank towards a architecture and cloud strategy
- Developing an end to end Infrastructure Strategy for a regional bank
- Developing a Sourcing and Infrastructure strategy for a bank in Thailand
- Driving Corporate Strategy Development for CISCO Systems
Director Financial Services Technology Consulting Southeast Asia
11/08 – 12/09
Enabled IT Transformation and increased digital revenue generation with clients across the region by capability building, adoption of open source and to deploy the Lean Six Sigma Methodology.
- Enterprise Data Warehouse Strategy for DBS
- Infrastructure Strategy for a global insurance in Asia Pacific
- Drive Data and Reporting Country Strategy for a Central Bank in ASEAN
- Re-engineer and Manage Development of a Retail Finance Platform in Thailand
- Advisory for Merger and Acquisition in Thailand
Global Chief Architect
12/04 – 11/08
Globally responsible for Architecture Vision and Strategy for ~500 Million Accounts, defining and implementing a global digitization campaign based on APIs and Data Enablement.
The Chief Architect here is a senior IT Executive, next to the CIO and CTO, to focus on and develop an architecture model tied to business owners. In this way the role combines typical CIO (Business) and CTO (Application Technology) elements.
Global Head of Core Banking Technology reporting to the Global CIO.
CTO Asia and CTO Thailand Building GE’s first green field bank, supporting M&A activities, creating shared services organization and infrastructure for Asia Wide hosting.
Senior Manager, Consulting
03/97 – 12/04
Working in Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Japan, China, Germany, USA, The Netherlands, UK, France, Spain, Switzerland, and Austria.
- Co-Run Accenture’s largest project – 3.5BN USD and 1400 resources, UK
- Co-Run first Global E-Business b2b2c and supply chain platform for Sony HQ in Tokyo, Japan
- First b2c direct selling for Compaq in Singapore
- RWE IT Transformation in Germany
- B2B eCommerce and Marketplace for BASF, Germany
- Technology Lead for New Tech Platform and Job Seeker Site for German Labor Department
- Developing an IT Strategy Methodology for Accenture- Content Responsible for Managing EMEA Alliances for BEA and Documentum (EMC) and FileNet (IBM)
Managing Director (Co-Founder)
03/92 – 04/97
Starting a new companies in Thailand and Canada offering early Internet solutions teaming with Netscape and others.
- Full Profit & Loss PL Responsibility
- Start up Internet in Laos and Myanmar 95-96
- First free and largest Internet Email and Community Site in Thailand 1994
- First B2B E-Business Solution in Thailand in 1994
- Setting up a new innovative ISP with Lippo Group in Indonesia
- Subject Matter Expertise for IBM and Samart to setup Internet in Thailand
- Internet Implementation for CNN, Deutsche Bank, SPA Advertising, McCanm Thailand
- National IT Development Plan for Royal Thai Government
INSEAD Central Group
INSEAD Standard Chartered
GE Crotonville Leadership Institute
Andersen Worldwide / Accenture St. Charles